Hereford and Seisholtzville fire companies were dispatched at 11:30 last Friday night to a mobile home fire on Mystic Lane in Hereford. The structure is owned by Sue Raab, who was home at the time the fire broke out.
The call was originally dispatched as a fire with a victim entrapped. According to Hereford Chief Josh Borowski, Raab “witnessed the fire coming up from next to the stove.” Emergency units were called and Raab exited the building safely with help from neighbors.
Firefighters arrived quickly. Temperatures hovered in the single digits which could have hindered their efforts. However, Borowski said that “the first in crew had a good knockdown.” Other than being cold, Borowski added that the cold weather did not affect the firefighters while battling the blaze.
Borowski reported that the volunteers were able to knock the fire down with two hand lines and used only a couple hundred gallons of water from the trucks. The area has no hydrants.
The front half of the home suffered severe fire damage and the rear half suffered smoke damage. No injuries were reported but at least six pet cats died as a result of the fire.
Borowski estimated the damage to be at least $25,000 to the building and contents. He cited the cause as an overloaded extension cord. The home was equipped with smoke detectors.
The chief also mentioned that “The neighbors were great in helping Sue out.” Raab was reported to be staying with friends; however, the Red Cross was contacted to help out with temporary housing.
Assisting at the scene were units from East Greenville, Pennsburg and Upper Milford fire companies. Emergency medical units responding included Bally Community Ambulance and Upper Perkiomen Valley Ambulance. A “rehab” unit from Macungie also responded.