Friday, November 28, 2014

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE - CLICK HERE!    
 
SPORTS HEADLINES

 See this weeks print edition  

for these stories:

  • Bowling Results
  • Area Golf League Results

 

SPORTS GUIDE
...
 
SPORTS SITES
 

 
 

 

Local News Article
Return to Previous Page

Quakertown Opts in for County’s West Nile Program
Written by Kelly Kalb, Correspondent
2012-04-12

Borough properties will be sprayed with pesticides to control mosquitoes

        With warm weather just around the corner, Quakertown officials decided to be proactive about controlling the mosquito population in their borough by agreeing to participate in a county program to quash the bloodsucking insects with insecticides. 
        At last Wednesday’s council meeting, officials moved to have borough properties treated with a pyrethroid mixed with oil or water, Permanone 4-8, an insecticide that kills flying mosquitoes and, in turn, cuts down on the incidence of West Nile virus in the area.   
        The treatments will reportedly be administered with truck-mounted equipment to spray residential and recreational areas. Spraying was last administered in October 2011 because of heavy rains.
        According to the county’s website, if residents want to reduce their exposure to pyrethroid spray, stay indoors during spraying and for about 30 minutes afterwards. The spray is reportedly “very low-risk for humans including children and pets.”
        A call to Borough Manager Scott McElree was not returned as of Wednesday morning as to when the spraying would take place.  
        West Nile is a potentially serious virus that can attack both humans and animals, most commonly birds. In fact, the CDC encourages community support for this program so as not to spread the virus during the warm weather months. Further information can be found on the CDC’s website, www.cdc.gov.  
        Several warm weather events were also discussed in the borough. 
        St. Isodore’s request for a 5K run on the borough streets was approved with some revision to the route for safety purposes. This is to be held on April 27 with a 6 p.m. start.
        A request was also granted for a Sports and Fitness Discovery Camp to be conducted by the Quakertown Community School District Monday through Thursday June 11 to July 19 for ages 5-11 years. More information on this event can be found on the school district’s website, www.qcsd.org
         Council members also recognized Megan Maskornick who has achieved the Girl Scouts of America Gold Award. This is a national award given only to qualifed young women who have shown leadership skills. The Gold Award is the highest achievement a Girl Scout can accomplish and is obtained solely by that individual’s work. 
        In follow-up to the discussion of the Richland Green Project last week, McElree said there was a meeting held April 2 with the Bucks County Water and Sewer Authority concerning sewer capacity for the development. McElree stated that this is “still a project in process” and feels that council is “closer to an agreement.” 
Council members plan to come to a decision in the next few weeks for release of sewer capacity to nine remaining home sites in the development of Richland Greene. McElree stated that currently “Quakertown borough holds 55 percent of the sewer capacity and Bucks County Water and Sewer Authority have the remaining 45 percent.” 
       The project delay is due to BCW&S exceeding their amount of sewer capacity due to heavy rain in the past and the potential for Quakertown to incur violations if they exceed their own capacity.  

 

 

 

 

SPORTS PREVIEW
...
 
JOIN THE BUSINESS DIRECTORY
Join our Business Directory today and get the introductory rate for a full year.
Click Here.

 

 
 
SITE MAP   ADVERTISE WITH US!   LOCATIONS SERVED
Home Editorial
News Photos
Sports Business Directory
Obituaries Classified Ads
Calendar Contact Us
  Advertise with the Town & Country... It's the weekly paper that people read, not just look at!  Click here to learn more or sign up.   Serving the municipalities of Bally, East Greenville, Green Lane, Hereford, Lower Salford, Marlborough, Milford, New Hanover, Pennsburg, Red Hill, Trumbauersville, Upper Hanover, Upper Salford
The Town & Country is now available at 64 locations throughout the region! Pick up your copy at any of the locations here, or better yet, have it delivered directly to your mailbox!  Click here to subscribe.



Local News for Local Readers since 1899.
© Copyright 2009 and Terms of Use
Site Design by Bergey Creative Group