St. Luke’s Hospital & Health Network is Now St. Luke’s University Health Network
St. Luke’s Hospital & Health Network has officially changed its name to St. Luke’s University Health Network, and the hospital in Bethlehem has been re-named St. Luke’s University Hospital. For only the second time in St. Luke’s nearly 140-year history, the Board of Trustees has officially approved changing the name to accurately convey the Network’s organizational scope and growth, according to Richard A. Anderson, President and CEO of St. Luke’s University Health Network.
St. Luke’s has been educating tomorrow’s doctors and other health care providers since 1881 when Dr. William Estes, St. Luke’s first superintendent and surgeon-in-chief, first began training St. Luke’s doctors in the era’s newest surgical procedures.
Today, more than 1,000 students from more than 20 area colleges and universities receive their advanced medical education and clinical training at St. Luke’s University Hospital. More than 100 St. Luke’s physicians serve as faculty at prestigious medical schools including Temple University and the University of Pennsylvania, and St. Luke’s is involved in more than 200 clinical research trials.
Each year, St. Luke’s educates more than 150 physicians in 20 fully accredited internship, residency and fellowship programs. Partnering with Temple University School of Medicine has allowed St. Luke’s to create the first and only regional medical school campus in the area. The first class of medical students began classes last August. More than 120 medical students will study daily at the medical school campus when it reaches full enrollment over the next three years.
Founded in 1884, St. Lukes School of Nursing is the nation’s oldest, continuously operating, hospital-based nursing school and has graduated thousands of students. Through an affiliation with Moravian College, St. Luke’s also offers nursing degree programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
As part of the name change, St. Luke’s will standardize the names of its hospitals to enhance the brand and strengthen the Network as it grows and expands:
St. Luke’s Hospital – Bethlehem Campus is now St. Luke’s University Hospital – Bethlehem Campus; St. Luke’s Miners Memorial Hospital is now St. Luke’s Hospital – Miners Campus; St. Luke’s Quakertown Hospital is now St. Luke’s Hospital – Quakertown Campus; and St. Luke’s Warren Hospital is now St. Luke’s Hospital – Warren Campus. St. Luke’s Hospital- Allentown Campus and St. Luke’s Hospital – Anderson Campus will remain the same.
In the past few years, St. Luke’s has expanded at an extraordinary pace in terms of size and complexity. The Network now includes six hospitals – serving patients in two states – as well as home health services and more than 150 health care delivery sites. The Network’s growth has not been limited to the provision of health care and has also been focused on expanding our teaching programs training health care professionals.
The Network employs more than 8,600 people and boasts more than 1,350 volunteers. The medical staff consists of 1,325 employed and independent physicians.