A state police trooper surveys the damage done by the Monday night fire which left one person homeless. Firefighters arriving on the scene found flames shooting from the first floor windows.
Firefighters from Green Lane, Red Hill and Pennsburg were dispatched at 8:10 p.m. Monday night on the first alarm to a building fire at 3158 Finland Road in Marlborough Township.
According to Green Lane Chief John Miller, the first firefighters to arrive on the scene found heavy fire with flames shooting out of nearly every window on the first floor of the wooden-frame, two-story home.
A second alarm was struck for additional tank trucks and firefighters. About 40 volunteers responded to the call.
According to Montgomery County property records, the home is owned by Stephen Ganter, who was home alone at the time.
Miller declared the fire under control at 8:45 p.m. The first floor of the structure was gutted by the intense fire. The second floor sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.
There were no reported injuries. Miller said the home is a “Total loss with a damage estimate that will exceed $100,000.”
The fire is under investigation by the Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal but Miller believes the cause is accidental and may have been caused by a gas cooking stove.
Fire police closed Finland Road from Brinckman Road to Upper Ridge Road until about 10:30 p.m.
Other fire units called to assist at the scene included East Greenville, Lower Frederick, Sassamansville, Tylersport and Upper Frederick fire companies in Montgomery County and Milford Township and Trumbauersville fire companies in Bucks County.
Emergency medical units from Green Lane, Upper Perkiomen, and Grand View Hospital also responded to the scene.
A unit from Upper Salford Fire Company was on standby for Green Lane Fire Company.